Skip to main content

This Lagos is Not Nice

Something to warm you up this wet Tuesday. 



The first time I came to Lagos, I had an uncanny impression that everyone is a criminal, and everybody you meet has violent tendencies 

Due to the kind of news we heard about Lagosians, I was prepared for the worst

I was surprised when I went to eat one sunny day after job hunting without success in a buka, still wearing my ironed neatly starched suit, I knew I was the best dressed in that raggedy place

So I crossed my legs and shouted with an air of authority and class, "waiter!" 

Everyone bursted out laughing 

Then three guys sitting close to me, moved closer and told me that there is no waiter here, it's Iya Ibeji, and her daughters name is Ibeji,

They smiled and told me to gently go to the front, wash my plate myself and queue up

I looked in horror, having just arrived from Abuja where I was living with my aunt

I said never, how can I wash my own plate ontop money I'm paying, never!!! 

I'll sit here and they will serve me, they must serve me 

So I shouted waiter and immediately the girl ran over

The guys were shocked, I smiled and balanced well in my seat

You need to dress the part and speak the part, I told them after I had placed my order to the girl 

Everyone was smiling at me, and I was smiling back 

The guys called me friend while the girl stood and took my order, I called them friend too, and wondered why people said lagosians are violent and hostile

Local and loud maybe, but not hostile and aggressive 

Soon my food arrived and I ate 

I noticed within the time I used my fork and knife to eat my eba and egusi soup, the guys had eaten three wraps of eba with extra soup and meat

Soon they stood up, called me friend again and asked if I was enjoying my meal

I smiled and told them it was okay, I've had better but this is fine. 

They smiled and walked to the front, later they waved at me while standing with the girl that served me, and I waved back and smiled 

The girl too waved looking at me, and I nodded and waved back, wondering if this flirting was a way to get me to order more or come often 

It seemed everyone loved waving and smiling in this Lagos

So on their way out they tapped me and thanked me while smiling 

I nodded and smiled, and thanked them too, wondering what they were smiling and thankful for 

They must be well groomed and responsible young men like me, I thought

"Waiter my bill please," I called out

When she showed me 

I screamed 

"Iya Ibeji, how much is your food?" I thundered 

"No sir, it's for all of you." the girl said

"All of who?" I asked perplexed

"Your friends oga, they ate extra and even took some away." she replied impatiently 

"Which friends?" I asked again shocked 

"Oga answer me na, no dey waste my time, the friends you were waving and smiling with just now." she replied 

"I don't know those guys, I met them here. I thought you were waving because, because... Then I lowered my voice... I thought you were waving because you like me." I whispered the last part

"Mama!" she screamed

It was then I saw the violence and aggressiveness I was warned about

When the Iya Ibeji showed me her true colors, I paid and even paid extra for the inconvenience 

But those three guys, may their hands remain up, and may that food purge them forever. 

Everybody is mad in this Lagos, I swear

I am tired of Lagos!!!


The End


Kingdavid Chinaeke Ofunne 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I hate my Job

Warning: Strong adult content 18+ I hate my job My boss, Miss Patricia, is a tyrant 40+, beautiful angelic face and even more perfect body, with a lovely smile, that she hardly uses, single mom of two beautiful teenage girls, whose pictures are hung everywhere in our offices. While her exterior is sweet and beautiful, her interior is dark and evil. Always barking orders at the rest of us, like children, her voice is so loud you wonder where she has the energy to scream in such a high note all the damn time She is so feared, her car horn is enough to immediately drown whatever noise or laughter is coming from the entire building The popular saying among us, her staff members, is that the fear of Patricia's horn is the beginning of wisdom I spent years searching for a job in the streets of Lagos, begging even, embarrassed by security men and spat at by lousy and saucy receptionists, to quit this one just like that. We die here! I was prepared to eat shit for as long as I could, so I

Neighbors

 Warning..... 18+ You have been warned!!! I looked at the phone in my hand for some minutes as I turned on my bed, planning my next move  The excitement of getting a new phone was eclipsed by what I was about to do So, putting on my latest expensive transparent black gown carelessly on my thin, fit and light skin body, I waltzed out of the bedroom like a woman with a goal and went straight to the house next to mine I knocked twice and listened  In minutes, I heard a voice call out... "Coming..." Then a lazy slap of feet on tiles followed, you could tell from the sound and vibration approaching the door that it was not an ordinary feet but two strong legs hitting the ground with power The door opens in slow motion and an average height, chocolate skin young man just getting past his mid 30's but still looking prime and delicious, zero beards, strong jawline and broad shoulders, sitting on a rather large chest, stood in the doorway, surprised to see a beautiful young lady i

While the torch Is lit, run with it

It’s hard to change your routine when you are a creature of habit. Habits formed from years of doing the same things over and over and over and over again. We get so comfortable with repeating schedules, we forget the magic of spontaneity and risk. The fun in chasing deals, pursuing forbidden love, romances unpersuaded or words left unsaid. Your dreams won't chase themselves. They need legs. How long are your legs. A wise man once said... Seeming is being. Stop being your own worst critic. Be your number one fan, first and your worst critic, last. You must have heard this a whole lot, life is short. Sounds like a cliché, right? You might laugh or think it's untrue, after all the world have been in existence for over 2000 years. You have also been hearing the same words since you were a child, now you are old and you are still hearing it. But think for a second, how old are you now? Was it not just a while ago you were a baby and still in your f